Naija Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VISIT NAIJA SPORTS FEED TO READ LATEST SPORT NEWS AND GISTS.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Williams Wins Another In Her Home Grand Slam

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Melbin

Melbin
Minors

Serena Williams can hardly believe how she concluded a superlative summer by winning the US Open for a fourth time, notching titles at her home Grand Slam over three different decades with a huge time span between the first at the latest.
Williams rallied from the depth of the third set as she denied Victoria Azarenka as the top seeded served for victory and a second career Grand Slam title leading 5-4.
Instead of the accepting what looked to be the obvious scenario, Williams rewrote the script, seizing the trophy in the end for her 15th singles title at a major - with her victories spaced a record 13 years apart.
"Three decades. The '90s (1999), 2000s (2002) and 2010s, that's kinda cool," said the 30-year-old who will take a rest with only two more event scheduled after a torrid summer of winning performances. "I just think that it's exciting to have this opportunity. And 13 years is a long time between the first and the last. It's just a great."
Williams dominated the summer grass and hard-court campaign after a disheartening first-round exit at the French Open to Virginie Razzano.
The American who keeps a flat in Paris redoubled her efforts and a month later ran off with the Wimbledon singles and doubles titles, followed by gold medals at the London Olympics in singles and in doubles with sister Venus.
She then completed a matched trophy set with another Open triumph.
"I came in knowing it was going to be a long summer, but I knew that I could do well if I just put my mind to it," said the winner of 53 matches this season. "I knew that I could just be a good player and a champion this summer.
"I never expected to win all these titles. The highlight has just been so amazing. Everything has been so amazing, so it's just been fabulous.

www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=36496

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum